Thread: Diagnosis
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Been there

I know how hard it is to listen to your neuro-psych report. As I sat through mine, my emotions ran the gamut from shock to disbelief to despair to a strange relief that someone finally understood what I was thinking, feeling and behaving and could explain why I as thinking, feeling and behaving that way.

The best thing about a neuro-psych is that it can help identify the most useful compensatory strategies and cognitive therapies. Yes, I said therapy. I know that there is nothing -yet- that can restore our premorbid function. Like you, my damage is diffuse and severe, but I am a great believer in neuroplasticity. The therapy I’m taking isn’t going to restore my high IQ or let me return to my old job, but I am functioning better at some daily tasks. Functioning better at those little things means I’m not constantly anxious, frustrated and angry. This has improved the quality of life for me and my family.

Do yourself a favour and on those days when you most despair, read the book or watch the documentary, The Brain that Heals Itself. Do yourself a bigger favour and don’t listen to the experts, officially titled or self-appointed, who want to write you off.

It sounds like we are battling a lot of the same deficits. If you ever want to talk more, feel free to PM me.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vini (08-31-2009)