View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Both of us eat yogurt every day. It is also a great source of calcium. I found one at Kroger's called Carbmaster...it has whey protein added, and only 4 grams of carbs. Since I am not eating fructose, this is working out for me with no GI reactions.
80 cals/cup. Its consistencey is a bit different, but it is pretty good --they are always sold out! I use it for a "snack".

Hubby eats the "lite" version. On vacation yogurt choice was very very limited (at one time the small Mom/Pop store didn't even sell it!) But in the past 5 yrs they now carry Yoplait. So I stopped eating mine, and got a low calcium cramp attack. I cut back on my special calcium added Lactaid milk too because we only had the little refrig that worked. It was amazing how my muscles reacted to THAT SIMPLE FOOD CHANGE!

Some nutrients are linked to stomach acid for absorption. So low stomach acid leads to poor B12, folate, iron, calcium, zinc and magnesium.

I have noticed that tramadol does slow me down some GI transit wise. I tend to have "fast transit" because of my GI congenital birth defect called malrotation. Calcium and zinc are two nutrients that have a transporter in the intestine. But things like B's do not. Since you saw the B's coming out quickly in the urine, at least you know you absorb some things normally, Marty.

One of our posters here back in the days of the old board, had a fish tapeworm! This parasite gobbles up B12...so people unfortunate enough to have it, become deficient.
People with malabsorption issues, usually respond to increased doses of nutrients...so all is not hopeless.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote