View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default One word: Greed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyk View Post
Where are the drug companies when it comes to developing drugs used for other diseases or other well known older drugs like dextromethorphan and naltrexone? While we have to hope for a cure, why can't they develop an existing drug that has been shown to slow or stop PD progression in research laboratories like the NIH? From what I've read, preventing microglia from being over activated will stop or slow PD. GLP-1 appears to do this.
Ashley,

Thanks for broaching this topic. I've often wondered if some of us don't ask our neuros for off-label prescriptions based on initial research findings. For example, Isradipine, a calcium channel blocker normally prescribed for high blood pressure, is in clinical trials right now as it has halted progression in animal models. The problem is always, how much do we need to take for the drug to be therapeutic. Not to mention the possible relationship between subtypes and efficacy of drugs- we won't all necessarily benefit from the same off-label drugs, so if it's not beneficial, is it safe?

The reason pharmas do not pursue applying older, more established drugs to treatment of Parkinson's? There is no patent to be filed, no blockbuster drug to market, and not enough profit to be made- same reason herbals and nutritional supplements are largely ignored. From what I know; I'm certainly not an expert, just a lapsed idealist. Not to mention that it takes forever, if it ever does happen, for the FDA to approve off-label use of an existing drug Istradefylline- in face we have a thread on that one. Instead, PWP in Japan will benefit from that one pretty quickly...it's on target for approval there.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote