Thread: seeds anyone?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

I went out into the mosquito infested back yard today... man are they terrible this year. Black striped ones! Blech...

Anyway I notice while I have been gone, the Siberian Iris have really set alot of pods.

So I have seeds for them too. They are tricky and not for the novice...but I have grown them myself.
This is what they look like:
http://www.theflowerexpert.com/media...erian-iris.jpg

They require moisture to flower well. Not a swamp but not really dry either. The spot I have them in is moist in spring and then dries out.

Quote:
When the seed capsule cracks, he extracts the seeds, dries them out and then waits until fall for planting. 'We sow between October and January and put them outside. They sprout in May and we line them out in July,' he said. It will take a year, even two years before the plants flower and then there are years of evaluating before selecting the best for introduction.
from http://www.amherstbulletin.com/story/id/22400472006/

I have a huge stand of them now, with a picture of one in my album. I seem to recall I cold shocked them in the frig before starting indoors...but I guess you could plant them in the yard before a freeze, and get the same results.

I think there are about 30+ pods with at least 10/pod in them now. They haven't split open yet, but it looks it they will soon.
PM me if you want some seeds.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (08-31-2009)