View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFencer View Post
Hi:

I was a division I basketball player in college and the moved on to fencing in recent years. This is my first post here. In 2005 I had a stroke that turned out to be a fusiform aneurysm in my basilar artery. Hard to reach and a nasty aneurysm. I was flown to Barrow Neuro in Phoenix and they stented me. dandy, I am all fixed. I have my angiogram follow up in 2007 and am told that not only is my first aneurysm growing again, but I have also grown a new one right above it.

In the summer of 2007 I had a craniotomy and STA to SCA bypass.

In September 2008 I had my first seizure. A couple of weeks ago I had another stroke. Once again I was flown to Barrow and after my angiogram they said they wouldn't recommend surgery at this point to do another crany and shut down the basilar artery once and for all. I have my three year scheduled angiogram next summer and Dr Spetzler said if the aneurysms keep growing or I have more incidents before then that I might want to "Bite the bullet" and have it done.

I am now totally freaked and cannot think of anything but fencing again and my brain. I am afraid to do anything that might mak them pop. How do you tell if they are leaking? I am scared to death and can think of nothing else. I have a wonderful caregiver. But I hate to say it, unless you have gone through it, only you can know what it is like. I am going crazy.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Dear Fencer,

I do apologize, but am unfamiliar with the disorders you mention. Am SO sorry that you are going through all this, and I can see where you would be totally freaked out. The thing I do identify with is your substantial losses in ability to do things you love. I am grateful for your caregiver! I would not try fencing at least until you can consult your doc on the matter. I am sure that someone will come along that can answer your questions. There are so many people on this forum with superior intellect and knowledge in these matters. You are in the right place. Don't do anything to harm yourself further, but try not to dwell on it. The Lord Jesus heals! Find your quiet center and live out of there. Caring About You ~ billie
billie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote