View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
...my Alan...when he comes home from the gym, he has more black and blues on his body than I have ever seen in my whole life.

He has one on his knee that is a deep purple. I know this is bruising and it does eventually go away, right??

But honestly, I'm extremely confused about the neuropathy....
Melody, I happened upon your post while searching the Internet. I'm not a doctor, but it's plain to see that your husband Alan has multiple symptoms of the chronic disorders sometimes called the "diseases of civilization":

-idiopathic peripheral neuropathy
-easy bruising: "more black and blues on his body than I have ever seen in my whole life"
-foot ulcers that take a long time to heal
-psoriatic arthritis in the toes
-Taylor's bunions
-coronary heart disease

Your own diabetic neuropathy is also a disease of civilization.

Quote:
I have no idea if tailor bunions can grow back
They can--some experts say that a bunion can only come back if the surgery was done improperly or footwear is worn that is too tight or causes overpronation; others say there is no guarantee that bunions won't come back some years later even if the surgery is performed correctly and the person wears appropriate footwear.

The following of your husband's symptoms are associated with diabetes and pre-diabetes, so your husband should have his blood sugar checked if he hasn't already:
-idiopathic peripheral neuropathy
-easy bruising
-foot ulcers that take a long time to heal

The diseases of civilization are theoretically believed to always include the following features:

-chronic inflammation
-immune system malfunction (autoimmune disorders), though it often is not recognized as such

...and tend to include some of the following features:

-chronic pain, tingling and/or numbness
-nutritional deficiencies
-one or more of allergies, asthma, or sinus problems
-insulin resistance or dependence
-the diseases of Syndrome X (which have hyperinsulinemia at their root): hypertension, type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia, coronary artery disease, obesity, abnormal glucose tolerance, acne, early menarche, certain epithelial cell carcinomas, increased stature (above average height), myopia, cutaneous papillomas (skin tags), acanthosis nigricans, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and male vertex balding

S. Boyd Eaton, M.D., Loren Cordain, Ph.D., Staffan Lindeberg, Ph.D. and others have proposed that these diseases of civilization are caused in large part by a diet of "modern" (agrarian and processed) foods that is out of step with the types of food that human beings are designed to eat because they ate them for the first 2.5 - 3 million years of their existence. The main foods that humans ate over this time were wild meats, fruits and vegetables. Grains, dairy foods and legumes were not staple foods in the human diet before the advent of agriculture around 10,000 years ago. We have not had time to adapt to the new agrarian and processed foods. Some people have genes that are less adapted to these new foods than others. It has been hypothesized that people from Northwestern Europe (the British Isles and Scandinavia in particular) tend to be less well adapted than people from the Middle East and Mediterranean, because agriculture started much earlier in the Middle East and radiated out to Europe from there, not reaching the fringes of Europe until thousands of years later.

Quote:
His eating habits are good, right????
Wrong. The following foods in his diet are all modern foods or include modern food ingredients:

multi grain English muffin
low sodium smart balance margarine
a cup of caffeine free tea
protein whey shakes
low sodium dressing
burger bun
low sodium tomato sauce
Splenda
baked potato
Splenda-sweetened drink

Better choices would probably be something like the following (depending on any food sensitivities he may have):

more cantaloupe and other fruit
green or herbal tea
a smoothie of strawberries, banana and apple juice or homemade almond milk
a turkey burger or grass-fed beef burger without the bun (he can wrap it in lettuce leaves if he wants, but it's easier to just eat it with a fork)
all-natural tomato sauce
honey instead of Splenda (or no added sweetener if blood sugar is high)
some more nonstarchy veggies like leafy greens

The biggest problem with his diet is likely all those whey shakes. Unfortunately, he drinks those because he wants to be muscular, so he may resist eliminating them. Whey contains betacellulin and insulin growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which promote cell growth and division, thus theoretically causing muscle growth. However, bovine betacellulin and IGF-1 have also been linked to various types of cancer. Because they strongly stimulate cell growth and division it is believed there is a risk they can stimulate too much of it, leading to a cascade effect of excessive, unregulated cell growth and division (cancer). The other stuff in the whey shakes is probably not good either.

It is also important to eliminate grains--especially gluten grains (wheat, rye and barley). Here is some information on a connection between peripheral neuropathy and gluten grain consumption:

Psychological and Neurological Illnesses Associated with Cereal Grain Consumption
From "Cereal Grains: Humanity's Double-Edged Sword"
By Loren Cordain, Ph.D.

"Neurological complications have long been recognized in celiac patients and can include epilepsy, cerebellar ataxias, dementia, degenerative central nervous system disease, peripheral neuropathies (of axonal or demyelinating type), and myopathies [318]. A recent study showed that 57% of patients with neuropathies of unknown cause (25 ataxia, 20 peripheral neuropathy, 5 mononeuritis multiplex, 4 myopathy, 3 motor myopathy, 2 myelopathy) demonstrated positive titres for antigliadin antibodies, and 16% (40 times higher than the general population) of this group also had celiac disease [315]. The cause of neurological dysfunction associated with celiac disease and antigliadin antibodies is unknown; however it has been suspected that an immunological mechanism may be involved [315, 318]. Although no clinical trials have yet been conducted of strict adherence to a gluten-free diet, it has been suggested that such a diet may result in stabilization or even improvement of neurological dysfunction [315]."

315 Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GAB, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A: Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet 1996;347:369.371.

318 Auricchio S: Gluten sensitivity and neurological illness. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1997;25:S7.S8.

The complete report can be found at http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20article.pdf.

Good luck!
AncestralLifestyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote