View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Good find, Mary.

Well, they missed a biggie on the antibiotic list: Telithromycin, otherwise known as Ketek. It has a black box warning, in large part due to Dr. James Howard of UNC working with the FDA, that NO ONE with MG should take it. That includes those with CMS (congenital myasthenic syndrome) or LEMS (Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome).

In that same "family" of antibiotics, which is technically macrolides, are Z-Pak (azithromycin) and Biaxin (Clarithromycin). I have no problem with either of these two but some people do.

Calcium channel blockers can also be contraindicated in MG. And ACE Inhibitors (both cardiac drugs).

And the eye drops that ophthalmologist and optometrists use that contain Atropine.

Iodine is not included on the list either. And stay away from tonic water, which has quinine (muscle relaxant) in it.

https://www.caremark.com/wps/portal/...=mgcontradrugs

And I'll be darned if I can find on the MGFA site where it has the list of contraindicated drugs.

As far as foods go, relatively contraindicated because they can increase actetylcholine, are the nightshade family (tomato, potato, nicotine, pepper, eggplant). Caffeine can do the same thing. And stay the heck away from organophosphates (weed killers), which increase aceylcholine and permanently destroy the neuromuscular junction. And bug spray, like Permethrin and DEET. Or those new clothes which have Permethrin and Resmethrin (bug repellants) actually IN the fabric!

There really is not a complete list, at least that I've been able to find. Someone should compile one and put it in the Useful Sites section.

When in doubt, ask your pharmacy, neurologist or primary doctor. And there are foods contraindicated in some drugs, as well as drugs that shouldn't be taken together! I know the prescribing information sheets are the tiniest print ever and quite overwhelming, but read them anyway BEFORE you begin a drug!

Annie

And I think a list of what MGers should "avoid" should include: Heat, stress, infections, surgery (well, you often can't do that), lack of sleep, etc.

Last edited by AnnieB3; 08-31-2009 at 08:32 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JCPA (08-31-2009), Nicknerd (08-31-2009), Pat 110 (09-01-2009)