View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book attached image of Pec Minor muscles

Hi dabbo and Wylie!

The procedure is done by cutting a 2-3" horizontal line just below the collarbone. Look at the attached image, the top where the pec minor muscles attach to the shoulder, this is 'snipped' which renders the muscle useless. (a nerve block is done in the same location - they just inject the nerve that controls that muscle, putting it 'to sleep') It prevents the muscle from going into spasm, which in turn prevents the scalenes from going into spasm, which in turn is supposed to prevent the occipital migraines.

It did not prevent the migraines for me. It did lessen the rock-like scalenes and constant spasms in the collarbone area. I'm also not as sensitive there now(ie: fewer trigger points). But the migraines persist.

Wylie, I'm really struggling with controlling my flare-ups. In an attempt to lessen the meds, I'm told by my PT guy all I can do (post pec minor release) is stretching and moist heat. I got a scholarship to the local YMCA and am using their indoor walking track, exercise balls (to stretch the sternalis muscles) and hot tub. Simple daily activities (brushing hair, teeth, dressing, writing) still cause me problems. I can no longer mop, dust, vacuum, pull on stockings, lift a baby, hold a childs hand, do anything overhead... I tell ya, most days I'm just grateful that I can still think, cause that's just about all I can do! The loss of strength AND dexterity isn't related to the pec minor release - that's from long term nerve impingement. The lifting, pulling carrying stuff - THAT's the limitations from the pec minor release. Additionally, you may suffer overworking your sternalis muscles (over your sternum) and forearm muscles, as these try to compensate. A whole new set of problems.

It's all a trade-off.

The procedure is an easy one (compared to a rib resection). I had an overnight hospital stay in Denver and flew home the next day. The surrounding muscles (on the right) were ****** for months and very bruised. Really, a year. Ice, ice, ice. I recommend that the surgeon do nerve blocks prior to a release... the muscles will be MUCH happier! I had one done on the left (the side that also had a scalenectomy done) pre- surgery and I had almost no bruising or burning pain.

Happy to share my experiences!
Anne
(this took about 1 hr to type and my hands are swolen!)
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have the pec minor surgery?-pecminor-jpg  

"It is what it is."

Last edited by astern; 01-05-2007 at 10:58 AM.
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote