View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Dorvad~ it would not hurt you to do BOTH. You might consider trying daily oral methylcobalamin for a few months, and see if you notice any benefit. Also, do you take a multivitamin and B-complex? You might also need B1, B6, folic acid, etc., as deficiencies in those can also cause neurologic symptoms.

Do you know if your shots are methylcobalamin or cyanocobalamin? It makes a difference for some people.

The vast majority of people seem to do really well on oral B12. I have only read from two people in six years who said that oral didn't work for them, and that they did better on the shots. I've heard several say that the oral worked better than the shots because they noticed symptoms/fatigue between monthly shots, and did not notice that when they had a steady daily supply.

And of course, there could be other things going on as well. For example, gluten sensitivity can cause wide ranging neurological symptoms, and many other conditions as well.

Maria~

I can't believe we shared so many of the same symptoms. It just always surprises me when symptoms can be so similiar, and other times very diverse. I was so lucky to catch my B12 deficiency just as I believe I was crossing over into spinal cord damage, given my symptoms. I had a few bed ridden days because of balance problems, numbness along my spine, etc, and even now...six years later, I have balance problems in the dark, going down stairs, running,...so I know I am not 100%.

And, as you may remember from reading my symptom list... my level was 294 (low NORMAL)...after 3-5 years of symptoms. So many people do slip through the cracks of these tests when doctors are only interpreting results based on the black and white of it, and the lab ranges are set the way the are.

And, again, there is always the possiblity that something else is also factoring into your symptoms. Seems that people with B12 deficiency often have other autoimmune disease, or vice versa. I know I was holding Lyme Disease in the back of my mind if my symptoms persisted or returned. But, thankfully, my symptoms have not returned...with the exception of a few mild flares now and then when my body is stressed..but very mild flares.

It is hard for people to believe these severe symptoms can all be related to a vitamin deficiency, but they can. I think these two articles available online are especially good on the subject~

eMedicine link on vitamin B12 associated neurological diseases:

Subacute combined degeneration: clinical, electrophysiological, and magnetic resonance imaging findings JNNP

I think you should also consider supplementing daily with oral methylcobalamin (2000mcg), even in addition to the shots. The supportive data can be found on here and Roses website (also linked here)~ http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/b12deficiency

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 01-05-2007 at 12:04 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote