View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I appreciate the comments here. And know now that filing for disability is going to be a tough road. I believe the clerks do everything possible to prevent filers from receiving benefits. And this I believe is a result of multiple cases of abuse over the years. Now, those of us who truly need the benefits in order to survive from day to day are suffering from the abuse and have to jump through a series of hoops to get what we need. And disability benefits are a right not a privaledge.

I am a good candidate for receiving disability benefits. The diagnosis list: Two liver hemangiomas, severe gastroesophageal reflux-gurd, constrictive esouphagus, pulmonary embolism, polycethemia vera, neuropathy in both feet-calves-hands-fingers with numbness, diabetes 2-insulin dependant, obstructive sleep apnea-Bipap machine, intracranial hypotension, Chiari Malformation Type 1-adult onset of symptoms, hydrocephalus-VP shunt, gout, deviated septum, 5% hearing-left ear-75% hearing-right ear, Meniere's disease, double vision, arachnoiditis, cervical stenosis with curvature, multiple disc herniation, degenerative disc disease, partial frontal lobe epilepsy with myoclonic seizures and starring, myelopathy, lumbar stenosis with curvature, pernicious anemia-B12 deeficiency, pinched ulna (sp) nerves in both forearms, severe nerve damage radiating from the spine, severe carpal tunnel in the right hand. And I realize that only 4 of these are on the SS list of automatic (yea, right) symptoms. But doctor treatment, etc can all be authinticated. (I need spell check in posting here, is that available?) But you take all of the above, give them all a good stir and no, "normal" functioning for me on a daily basis is extremely difficult.

I was told to file on line with SS department. One is limited to 500 characters in explaining symptoms, conditions and your limitations in working. In my case, that is not enough room to list everything nor explain everything. So have an appointment with SS to present my case plus the limited information that has been submitted on line. How does one list, in my case the 12 doctors that see me, treat me, have history of stuff that has been going on?

The fusion surgery coming up will be quite invasive, fusion with rods C2-T1. It is anticipated that I will be in the hospital for 5 days then 2 weeks in the PT department. Not looking forward to this one. The neurosurgeon anticipates the surgery will bring a halt to the continued damage to the spinal cord. It will not help with any current pain issues I live with and any improvement will be small or worse, the outcome is not known. And this will be surgery #5, with 3 more down the road. The pinched nerves and carpel tunnel need to be dealt with or I will be unable to feed myself. When I met with the PA for surgery pre-op, I found out that I had a heart attack, which is a part of my medical record, which I had no knowledge of.

My previous neurologist gave me a new label, a "trainwreck", a new term for me. In the medical field it means that so many issues are occurring at the same time that it is difficult for docs to find the exact cause of symptoms. I tell new doctors this and they are rolling on the floor, but know what they are dealing with.

So my journey with SS is just beginning and I will fight the system all the way.

Peace,
David

Last edited by dtyree; 09-02-2009 at 10:20 AM.
dtyree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (09-02-2009), Dmom3005 (09-14-2009)