Thread: Driving !!
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Since I had not driven in 22 years, I had to go to a driving school here in order to get a driver's license. I was taught how to use hand controls and refreshed on driving in busy traffic and approved to drive by the certified instructor.

The class was 16 hours long and the instructor said she could not believe that I had not driven in so many years because I really drove "by the book" as far as lane changes, speed and driving defensively.

I do not like being out in busy traffic, especially on the interstates here, because there are so many wrecks. Some of the time cars are stranded behind the wrecks for hours waiting for the accident to be cleared.

Since summers in the Phoenix area usually means weeks of heat over 110 and 100 for months, it is dangerous to be caught in one of these traffic jams. I try to stay off the busy roads and use side roads to get where I am going.

The independence being able to drive has given me is wonderful. I encourage anyone that wants to drive to take the responsibility in your hands and go for it. There are a lot of devices which make driving while physically impaired practical.

Night driving is something I do not like to do and usually avoid it when possible. I think it is not safe for a decrepit old woman to be out at night by herself. I am not a lady of the night now.

Neither of my grown sons will ride with me, so when they take me places I sit in the passenger seat. Kids!

gmi
gonnamakeit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (09-11-2009), SallyC (09-03-2009)