View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Frightened and Newly (almost) diagnosed

Hi,
I'm new to all this stuff, bear with me :-).
I am 25 years old and just over the past few months have noticed some numbness and tingling that's gotten progressively worse. I saw a neurologist after my MD suggested the symptoms warrented a workup. The neurologist saw some clinical mostly sensory problems, and ordered a brain MRI which was wnl, bloodwork where all was normal except my anti MAG was elevated to 3386 (999 was cutoff for abnormal). I had my EMG/NCV which this week which showed motor nerves ok but my feet and hands all had sensory symmetric "low and slow" velocities. I am still waiting for an official "diagnosis", and next week am having a lumbar punture and MRI of spine/thorax. The neurologist seems surpised that the bloodwork was positive for anti-MAG, said he ordered it without expecting anything in that direction, the GM1 was negative. Since my initial "occasional numbness and tingling" I am now experiencing (For the past few days) Burning sensation that stays (as opposed to coming and going) and is from my kneecaps down on both legs. My palms also burn almost constantly. In the past few weeks I've gone downhill fast. I didn't realize there was a difference with CIDP and anti-MAG polyneuropathy. Are they closely related? How were others diagnosed?
LauraGTimes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote