View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi there!

My son Nathan had a G-J tube placed last December because he could not tolerate his feeds (would throw up everything I would have just fed him-even overnight slow feeds). He had the G-J tube for about a month so I have a little experience with meds. Nathan gets Chloral Hydrate at bedtime for sleep. I noticed that it worked a lot quicker when it went into the Jejunum as opposed to the stomach. He would fall asleep with 5 to 10 minutes when it normally takes 30 to 45 minutes.
He also has myoclonic seizures which have been greatly controlled with just Depakote and Klonopin twice a day. The doses for those meds were not changed-but again I think the onset of action was faster with the Klonopin (he'd calm down quicker).
He had a fundoplication in January which was the absolute BEST thing we could have done for him. My son had to be held constantly for his first year and a half or he'd hold his breath and turn blue (due to undiagnosed reflux). He'd do this 10 to 15 times a day. After the fundo, I had a new child. He wouldn't ride in the car without ear-piercing blood curdling screams. Now he is so content in the car-he LOVES it. It is so sad to think he was in so much pain for so long.
After the surgery, we switched back to just a Mic-Key Button G-Tube and he has been doing pretty well. He now gets lots of real food through his tube that I throw into the blender and Pediasure overnight.
A really good site for tube feeding parents is Parent 2 Parent
http://www.parent-2-parent.com/forum...isplay.php?f=8
There are tons of really experienced tube-feeding moms (and a few dads) and lots of the kids have G-J tubes. Hope this helps!
Nathan&GilliansMommy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote