View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

JCPA, I think some of us who've had the disease for awhile forget how absolutely difficult it is and how much it changes life. I am really sorry you are having a rough time dealing with MG and all that comes with it.

Please refresh my memory - are you on only Mestinon or other drugs too? The reason I ask is due to your sore throat. If you are immunosuppressed, you are more prone to getting infections. And "opportunistic" infections like staph infections (we all have staph on our skin but it gets all ticked off when our immune systems are suppressed).

I can't have the Quinolones because I'm allergic to them. That's the only experience I have with them. My sister, who does not have MG, took it and had delusions! She thought she saw a squirrel. Obviously she stopped it right away. So, if you don't start seeing things and aren't a lot weaker, I think you'll be ok! Many people I know who have MG can tolerate the Quinolones (Levaquin).

MG does not cause a sore throat and aches/pains. It sounds like you are sick.

I'm sorry you had to go so far to see your neuro. Isn't there anyone closer to you? Besides, you should get yourself a good primary doc for times like this. When you feel better, that is.

It might help, when you get new symptoms, to write them down. Then you can see them in black and white (and show them to your doc too). It always helps me to write things down. When I'm stressed, I write down what is stressing me out so my brain doesn't have to think about it anymore. I can put things in perspective that way too.

It is very hard to get used to MG. The good news is that, after a while, you just look at it as your new normal. Maybe spending some time looking around your environment, thinking about what you could change to make things easier might help. Like is there a place to sit everywhere so you don't have to stand - like in the kitchen. Do you have frozen dinners or simple "picnic" type food on hand when you don't have energy to cook. Or paper plates and silverware. And this is really a serious comment . . . You may want to make sure there isn't anything around you could trip on or run into that is sharp. I've fallen one too many times because of "foot drop" and keep my environment as clear of clutter as possible!

I wish I could help more. Keep telling yourself it will all be okay. Pamper yourself. Do FUN stuff. And don't forget to laugh - though not too much or your neck and breathing muscles might not like it!

Go in if you are feeling worse. I hope you feel better soon.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote