View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Painfree - a Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfree View Post
The Peroneal Nerve can be entraped by trigger points in the the Peroneus longus (lat leg + calf) and , Extensor digitorum longus muscles (big toe).

Read more about this at: http://www.round-earth.com/Entrapment.html

"dermatones don't line up with the chart. He thought I'd feel the stimulation in my leg, but it was now in my..."

Pain referred from myofascial trigger points do not follow traditional dermatones. Pain from active trigger points can be as painful as a broken bone.

Your Dr. may want to research this peronial muscle and nerve pain and dysfunction, most Pain Dr.'s have these books in their medical library:

Travell & Simons’ Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction Trigger Point Manual Volume 1: Upper Half of the body and Volume 2: The Lower Extremities ISBN 0-683-08363-5 and ISBN 0683-08367-8. These volumes cover most muscles and associated pain patterns in the body including those which cause your pain. The muscles cause about 90% of all pain felt in the body.

Your pain is covered in volume 2 under peroneal longus.

Worth a Try:
Ask your pain Dr. to locate the trigger points in the peronial muscle and use the spray and stretch technique and or direct injections into these trigger points followed by stretch and a home stretch program. The same for the Extensor digitorum longus and tibialus anterior muscles This should give you some benefit.
Hello painfree - quick question - do you know who publishes Travell & Simons ?Is it a harcover or in a journal. I used to work for Marcel Dekker, an STM ( science, technology and medical publisher) and have retained contacts under their new ownership. Just curious...thank you again for your info.
Also if there are other factors I can tell you please ask. You're a wealth of info and the more you have, the narrower the focus. I'm in good shape otherwise, at correct bmi for my height, have or had been a disciplined exerciser for over twenty years daily, am now 47, trouble started at 41. I've had injections over the years since surgery but the leg pain never really abated. Again, it always hurts but the more I am on my legs, the longer the day and especially the more strenuous the activity, the worse it gets to the point that I'm noticeably limping and favoring the other one. I also get these night things - out of a sound sleep I wake up in sever pain due to that area of my lateral calf hardening like a rock ! My big toe goes up, and the metatarsals ( I think thats what they are, the lines you can follow on the top of your foot to each toe, know what I mean ? ) they about seem ready to bust out of my skin. You can't rub it out like a normal nighttime charley horse. I have to get out of bed and put all my weight on that foot and torque my foot ,, like twist my foot to the right while trying to move my calf area to the right. Best I can describe it is when it is over its like a light switch was flipped - i.e., there is no gradual abateing, no easing off until it's normal again. It simply releases. I usually exhale a sigh of relief at that point as it is that intense while in the throes of it, and that significant when it lets go. The do said its like that nerve is having a seizure. That while I am sleeping there is inappropriate activity to that nerve root and my lateral calf there has a seizure. I am on lyrica but I don't like the side effects, kind of an aidible buzzing feeling I get into the next day.
On the trigger point issue, I am under the impression the problem originates in my lumbar region, the site of my operations and scar tissue, where the nerve root controlling that area of my lateral calf is, not in the calf perse. Is that correct ? So trigger point therapy takes place in the point of origin ? Due to the prior operations and mess thats there now, how safe is it to have needles back there ? My previous injections were of course done with xray in the o.r. while mildly sedated but aware so I could tell them where I felt it. As many here can attest I am sure, its not an overly pleasant experience. How does a trigger point injection differ in application ?
Sorry to burden you with so much info - there's more but I don't want you to hate me ! - but you offerred so much material already I thought it'd be okay to pick your brain some more.
You and Shelley can email me at jlevine3@hvc.rr.com if you'd rather.....
Thanks again and again.
jonnyrocket is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote