View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
HI Ibby-
the problem I have discovered in trying to research this in the past is that almost nobody seems to have expertise in both a 'traditional' discipline, such as ayurveda, or herbalism, and a 'modern' approach, and they really don't know how to mediate with the heavy pharmaceuticals that so many of us with PD are on. These drugs have a really strong energy, as I'm sure you know, and my frustration is that every alternative technique I've tried is really kind of clueless about how to work with you if you are on these drugs.

We urgently need experts who can bridge the gap or help us down other paths if we want to go there. I guess there ARE medical doctors who also do acupuncture...maybe should be investigated more.
Fiona,

I have been questioning the very same thing. I have run across The National Ayurvedic Institute in NY. The director of this institute claims to be the only Ayurvedic Practitioner in the US with an MD? He does offer consultation and treats PWP. Has anyone ever visited here or know anything about the practice? I am considering a trip...

On a cautionary note: Many of you probably know this but Ayurvedic herbal supplements can contain high amounts of metals- just what we don't need crossing our blood-brain-barrier. From a Reuters article:

"Several Indian-manufactured rasa shastra medicines could result in lead and/or mercury ingestions 100 to 10,000 times greater than acceptable limits," the investigators report.
"Among the metal-containing products, 95 percent were sold by U.S. Web sites and 75 percent claimed Good Manufacturing Practices," the researchers note.

The article concludes by naming resources to use in checking the quality of what you may want to order.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote