View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
I have been on a myriad of pain meds after breaking my neck in an accident which amongst other things caused severe TBI. I am in constant pain and need some help from my fellow folks who've suffered the same thing.

I was on Fentanyl for 2 years until it just stopped working. Now, my doc, who's a surgeon & is well respected for dealing with such trauma. My med list includes the following

Fentanyl 2 years, Oxycontin (which, in my opinion is worthless), Dialaudid (works great but VERY short acting), and a host of other meds which I can't remember now.

The only thing I have not tried is Morphine. I understand the pills are basically worthless & the way to go is the pump. Any feedback on this would be great!!!

Can I get some advice on that. I don't want to go into my surgeons office demanding meds. He think I'm just trying to get one over on him and will loose all respect for me.

How do you all suggest I deal with it? What is next after Oxycontin & Fentanyl?

Thanks for your help

Joe

Joe,
I have suffered from RSD for 7+ years. I have had numerous nerve blocks, Taken many medications (Fentanyl, etc.). I have found a combination of medications that works for me. It mainly includes Morphine Extended Release along with Morphine Immediate Release for breakthrough pain. I don't care what the physicians tell you (I'll been told Morphine does not help nerve pain - that is incorrect) - Morphine, combined with some other drugs allows me to live the best quality of life I have had since being diagnosed with RSD. For What it is worth - Here it is:
Morphine Extended Release (work with the dosage until you get one that gives you pain relief for about 6 hours) (MS Contin CR)
Morphine Immediate Release ( Only for Breakthrough Pain )
An Anti-Seizure Drug - I use Klonopin 1mg BID
An Anti-Inflammatory Drug - Lodine
An Anti-Spasmotic Drug - Flexeril or Soma (Doctors HATE SOMA & will usually not write
for it.

I took Lyrica for 1 year. In that year I gained 70 pounds - of which I have not been able to lose 1 pound. Cymbalta - useless. Fentanyl - was good but after 2 years didn't do the job. SO ... What I am say is - TRY the MORPHINE ORALLY! My physician kicked me out last month because I refused to have a Pump Implanted in me to administer the medications. WHY should I have surgery, with all it's downfalls, when I can manage (for the most part) my pain with oral Morphine? THE KEY IS USING THE EXTENDED RELEASE MORPHINE IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE IMMEDIATE RELEASE! Believe me. If you take it regularly (not just when you are in pain), and you have your M.D. tweek the dosages so that the largest dosage comes in the morning Extended Release Morphine, I believe it will help you. Of course, the other drugs are very valuable in helping me control all the other conditions. Hey, what do you have to lose? PAIN, that's what. HOWEVER, I am having so much trouble finding a physician who will write prescriptions for long term Morphine. I am struggling to find one --- and you know what it looks like when you go from doctor to doctor because they want to start at Step A when you are already half-way down the alphabet. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
yiisd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (09-09-2009)