View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krank View Post
I just found this forum and I am so thankful for it. I was diagnosed a year ago with crps1 in the right ankle after a work injury . I have had five epidurals, aggressive PT and have been on neurotin 1800mg for the last 6 or so months. It looked like I was going into remission until about two weeks ago I felt some of that needles and pins thing going on and it didnt stop. The next I knew the little demon came back with a vengance and has started to climb up my leg. I have been eating vicodin like candy. My PM wants to install an SCS. A boston scientific model. Has anyone heard of this type and is there any other treatment (beside drugs) that can help ?
I've had RSD for 7 years. I was treated, as an inpatient, in a rehabilitation hospital for several months. I had nerve blocks and everything else that they wanted to explore on me. NOW FOR THE SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR: I have RSD in my Upper & Lower Extremities - therefore I would need two SCS's. I don't want that. I would prefer a medication pump implanted in me that can be filled with different medications and the dosages adjusted -- but I don't want anything surgically implanted in me. These things have batteries, they become dislodged from their appropriate place.
IF, I REPEAT IF, you can get over the stigma that is associated with taking narcotics for the rest of your condition's symptoms here is what works VERY WELL:
Tell you doctor you want these type of drugs:
Morphine Sulfate Extended Release ( MS Contin CR )
Morphine Sulfate Immediate Release (for breakthrough pain)
An Anti-Seizure Drug - I take Klonopin 1mg BID
An Anti-Spasmotic Drug - I take Flexeril, but there are many reasonable priced drugs
An Anti-Inflammatory Drug - I take Lodine - it works & is inexpensive.

Take these medications routinely. It does not matter if you have pain or if you feel great, keep the level of these drugs constant in your body and I believe you will notice a better quality of life. You will start off with a VERY small dosage of Morphine and the chances of becoming dependent are not as great as the chances of you suffering needlessly with the RSD unnecessarily. Hope this helps.. GOOD LUCK!
yiisd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote