View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 01:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Laura,
Here is a little more information on Ayurvedic doctors in India today. There are Ayruvedic Medical schools that teach both "western" as well as Ayruvedic medicine, students go through a basic curriculum as in Med School. Medical degree is termed MBBS and further specializations are MDs. So if you find a doctor trained in India, you get the best of both worlds.

Quote:
National Ayurvedic Institute[/URL] in NY. The director of this institute claims to be the only Ayurvedic Practitioner in the US with an MD? He does offer consultation and treats PWP. Has anyone ever visited here or know anything about the practice? I am considering a trip...
I just checked th website of NAI and the directors biodata looks great. He got his training and degree from well reputed Ayurvedic schools. Pancha Karma practice was the recommended therapy for PD .

i am glad you wrote:

Quote:
On a cautionary note: Many of you probably know this but Ayurvedic herbal supplements can contain high amounts of metals- just what we don't need crossing our blood-brain-barrier. From a Reuters article:

"Several Indian-manufactured rasa shastra medicines could result in lead and/or mercury ingestions 100 to 10,000 times greater than acceptable limits,m" the investigators report.
"Among the metal-containing products, 95 percent were sold by U.S. Web sites and 75 percent claimed Good Manufacturing Practices," the researchers note.

The article concludes by naming resources to use in checking the quality of what you may want to order.

Laura
[/QUOTE]

AIMs

When i asked my doctor about ayurvedic medicines, this is what he told me; There is no one med for all and no med contains a single component. (Just the opposite of what we have here!). The doctor examines and determines what type you are, (sort of like the personality test we all did, but in medical terms) and prescribes freshly prepared multi component liquid medicine/ This formulation is what makes ayurvedic meds safer despite the metals or other ingredients. Herbal extracts are mixed at specific ratios for each patient depending on the condition. During this process, many properties, toxicities of individual components are rapidly altered and and new compounds are created which work transiently in the human body.

This sort of chemistry makes perfect sense to me. I am not a chemist, but can understand the differences between sodium and sodium chloride. Only an ayurvedic doctor knows what meds are suitable for each of us. If you want to try this, please dont buy medicines from a store or onthe web without consulting a doctor

Thanks ]]
Girija

Last edited by girija; 09-06-2009 at 01:04 PM.
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote