Thread: Sleep Issues
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree that having a sleep study is a good idea for anyone who is having problems with sleep & severe fatigue......... However, sleep apnea is not always the cause of those. There are many causes for fatigue and sleep problems.

I had a sleep study a few years ago because I was having severe exhaustion to the point where I was almost falling asleep at work and school (and at times I was). This all in spite of getting a full 8 hrs of sleep at night.

My neurologist suspected it was fatigue from my anti seizure medications and daytime & nocturnal seizures--- hence my body and brain were not able to get much true rest, BUT, he wanted to do a sleep study to rule out any sort of sleep disorder.

The sleep study was uneventful-- I feel asleep within 30 minutes, my O2 (oxygen) sats were perfect through out the night and no sleep apnea. The "day time sleep test"/Nap study (MSLT-- multiple sleep latency test) that tests for Narcolepsy, showed I was fatigued and I fell asleep during one or two of the naps, but that I didn't have Narcolepsy. So, essentially, the sleep studies just confirmed what my neurologist and I suspected-- my fatigue issues were due to medication and seizures.

So, I was put on a medication to help with the fatigue and am still on it on a PRN basis. Not being able to function was NOT an option.

Now I am dealing with slightly different sleep issues (poor pain control combined with seizures and meds), but we're working on it.

The point is, please talk to your doctor about it-- I know how frustrating it can be ! There options and things that can be done, but if you don't let them know and let them know HOW its effecting your day to day life, they can't help you.

Hang in there !

L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (09-06-2009), Dew58 (09-07-2009), SBOWLING (09-07-2009)