View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi sprintingduck,

It is common to have an achiness in an adjacent tooth and/or the jawbone after a tooth is extracted. This is usually caused by the technique used to extract the tooth which can cause inflammation in the bone which causes pressure on the adjacent teeth. If there is no infection, this achiness will subside completely within a few weeks. If the pain worsens or you develop swelling in that area, you should see the dentist asap.

It is best to keep rinsing with warm salt warm at least 4 times a day for at least 3-4 weeks post op an extraction. This keeps the area clean and helps with the healing process. Avoid using that side to chew on until it becomes comfortable again. Chewing on an achey tooth can cause the nerve to become irreversibly inflammed which would eventually warrant a root canal or extraction. So try not to use that tooth for eating until it feels better.

A homeopathic remedy for inflammation and tooth pain such as yours is called Arnica Montana. It comes in small tablets that dissolve under the tongue. This remedy has been used for many years very successfully!

Hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Bryana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintingduck View Post
Had rear lower molar extracted (due to abscess) about a week ago and now have a dull ache in adjacent molar (painkillers are still required). Biting feels uncomfortable and it "tickles", wouldn't call it pain, just sensitive to touch with top teeth (if I use my finger it is not sensitive). If I tap this tooth with the end of a pen it is painful. This tooth is free from decay and wasn't abscessed at the time of the extraction.

Could there be another problem? How long should I wait before going back to the dentist?

Any advice appreciated...
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote