View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Before trying to get off the meds, I would suggest getting off the soccer field, permanently. Do some research into second impact syndrome or multiple impact syndrome.

I am confused as to why you are on propanolol. It is a blood pressure lowering drug. Has your Blood pressure been running high?

Topamax is a migraine headache medication. I have never heard about it being prescribed for Post Concussion headache.

You could call your doctor's office and ask if you can try not taking the Topamax for a few days and see if your headaches get worse. If they don't, then the Topamax may not be working for you.

I treat my post concussion headaches with Tylenol. Some people prefer ibuprofen. If your doctor puts you on a SSRI for your depression, ibuprofen may be contra-indicated. Be advised, many doctors will prescribe anti-depressants for concussion patients. Also, Tylenol can be hard on your liver so stay within the dosages recommended.

Your sluggishness may just be from the PCS.

Has anybody recommended getting on a good diet? It can be very helpful. Avoid diet sweeteners, MSG (monosodium glutamate), alcohol, get plenty of vitamins, especially the B's like B-12 and B-6. Plus a good healthy food regimen. Get consistent sleep. Poor sleep can be devastating to a PCS patient.

I have been there and done that after suffering a brain injury playing soccer. Any more concussions could easily drop your grades a full grade point. It did mine. Your brain will be very easy to concuss for quite some time.

Good luck to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote