View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 04:03 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi LW,

Sorry for only just seeing this post. I have been on holiday (vacation) with my mum to visit my grandad and that took a lot out of me so i've only just now been able to log onto the forum.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I totally understand how hard it is dealing with RSD at such a young age. I was 12 when I got it after an ankle sprain and have missed a LOT of my life because of it. I often spend days crying because I can't do things that a 'normal' teenager does and it really frustrates me when I see kids my age out having fun and i'm sat in the house due to pain.

Like you, I have lost most of my friends thanks to the RSD. I'm lucky that I now go to a special school centre for kids with disabilities or troubles going to school and the kids there understand my RSD and don't judge me because of it. They have helped me a lot and I don't know what i'd do without them.

Hardly any of my family understand RSD. My mum understands most of it as she has been with me through everything which has helped SO much but my dad refuses to understand. He likes to play the 'ostrich role' and bury his head under the sand and pretend it isn't happening which is OK for him but what about me? I have to deal with his every day of my life!

Whilst we were on holiday, my grandads wife kept making comments about my leg saying if I could swim more and change my diet, it would help. Huh, you think?! If only things were that simple...

I agree with what the others say about trying to find something to distract you from the pain. I know how hard it is when we are limited to what we can do but even small things such as listening to music etc can help some people.

Don't give up on finding a good doctor that can help you - there WILL be one out there, you just have to keep searching until you find it! Like you, I have tried all sorts of treatments and none have really helped. Ketamine takes my pain down a little but it never goes below a 6. Don't give up hope though! Treatments are coming a long way in treating RSD and hopefully, one day, there will be a cure!

If you ever want to talk, I am here for you as I DO understand how hard it is dealing with RSD and understand a lot of what you are going through!

Take care and I hope you feel better soon!

Alison
Dew58 (09-07-2009), fmichael (09-07-2009), LordWood (09-07-2009), SandyS (09-08-2009)