View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Very petty but still makes me mad.

Today I purchased an OTC nasal decongestant WITHOUT PSEUDOEPHEDRINE at Target but it did contain alcohol. The cashier asked for my driver's license and said it was because one of the OTC's I was buying had alcohol in it (polyvinyl alcohol). I gave it to her thinking she just needed to see my DOB but instead she scanned it into the computer! She never said she was going to do that. She never asked my permission to do it. Then she tells me she has no idea what information was taken off my license!

When I returned home I thought more and more about this and called the store and then called the corporate office. I was told it was Target's policy to scan your license, taking your name, address and DOB and putting into their computer, because they are required by law. I had already called other pharmacies and was told they only require you to show your id and they put in your DOB by hand for OTC's with alcohol. They only scan your license if it contains pseudoephedrine as per law.

Now I am steaming mad. My information is out there on Target's computer, going who knows where, where anyone who hacks into their computer system can get it.

I know I am probably making a bigger deal about this than I should but it just ticks me off that Target can just scan your license without telling you they are. I thought she was just looking at my DOB and would just put it in manually like every other place does. I am very protective of my information because once it's out there, there is nothing you can do to get it back. I am writing to the corporate office to give them a piece of my mind (well just a little since there's not much left! ).

What do you think? Am I over reacting? Is there anything I can do about this?
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (09-08-2009), DM (09-08-2009), Lady (09-12-2009), NurseNancy (09-13-2009), Riverwild (09-08-2009), SallyC (09-08-2009), Twinkletoes (09-08-2009)