Thread: Cockatiels
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Never give up, I say. Breeders have told me *Old birds don't learn to talk.* And lovebirds don't talk. Female birds don't talk. Or Birds that whistle. And so on and so on.

Well, I have a cockatiel, a Jenday conure and a lovebird we got when it was older.

The cockatiel says a ton of things, and giggles like a little girl. He even tells a joke - (taps on cage) knock knock, banana who? hahahaha!

The conure doesn't say much - he'll tell me night night, love you, yum yum and scream an expletive. He does a lot of tricks - not that we taught him, but that he figured out. Hanginging upside down and putting a bell on his head, eating with a spoon, laying on his back and juggling hot peppers - that one is funny.

The lovebird yells ME! ME! if someone else gets a treat, and she wants one too. And also says "Who's that pretty bird? Why MINNIE bird! hahahaha!" She stole that from the cockatiel. And she is starting to whistle the theme song from Pinky Dinky Do.

MrsD is right about the treats. Jake would do anything for papaya, and Jesse would for an oreo cookie - all of em are bonkers for popcorn.

With birds, I find first they want a vocal response. They LOVE a reaction above all. That's why you never scream if they bite you lol - it only eggs them on.

If I even think I hear one of them say a new word I smile big and say loudly SAY WHAT??? Then all of them go nuts. They see that as a good thing - it does help, I think, having a few of them.