Thread: Pain meds????
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyinLA View Post
plllls don't think i'm stupid.... but can i ask a question? what is "break-through" pain?? i'm just 16 mos. out w/RSD & take Neurontin 1800mg/day. refuse 2 take narcotics OR shots! (i'm on W.C.) just now talking 2 a great attorney - in case i need him! thks!
I am on Neurontin & Buprenorphine pain patches for my RSD. With those two my pain is considered to be "under control". This means that the pain medication is given in a certain amount to attain a certain level of comfort, as they cannot take the pain away fully, it *is* nerve pain. But even then, I have about 1 to 4 moments a day (sometimes more) when the pain increases despite the pain medication regimen. When that happens, the increased pain is called "breakthrough pain", it's the pain enhancing a number of times a day, a night even though your pain is "controlled", as in: treated. Especially for moments like these, I have oral Buprenorphine (tiny tablets). I put one or two (depending how intense the pain has gotten again) under my tongue and it eases the pain a little more.
- chondromalacia patellae both knees
- RSD both legs (late diagnosis, almost 3 years into RSD) & spread to arms/hands as of 2008
CRPSbe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote