View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Yes, especially Acetyl carnitine. This has been given to protect against chemo induced PN..
Does the quality of acetyl carnitine vary widely from different sources? Sadly, we didn't learn much about preventing PN prior to chemo because it was all such a rush for surgery. He showed no signs of PN until two weeks after the very last treatment when it hit very hard.

Quote:
And yes, the Prilosec is preventing absorption of iron, and B12 and other things.
Yes. Plus we've learned that removing the duodenum can prohibit iron absorption and the partial gastrectomy can inhibit B12 absorption. The gallbladder removal has lead to issues with bile reabsorption and he is taking cholestyramine to help with that.

Quote:
With this added feature...the Whipple's... he may need IV supplements. A special doctor, typically a naturopath or holistic MD will be able to advise you about IV supplementation.
I've wondered about IV supplementation. How does one locate a reputable naturopath or holistic MD?

Quote:
This seems very complex to me, so a complex supplement intervention will be needed. More than for the typical PNer I'd say.
Yes, it is complex! I'm hoping we can find something that will help lessen his pain in the short term and help his nerves to heal in the long term. I purchased the Biofreeze you mentioned and went ahead and picked up a bottle of Neuragen as well. Hoping one of them will help him get at least one night of decent rest.

Thanks!! Trish
javamom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote