View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
I have spondelolesthesis and spinal stenosis. Apparently, as a result of an MVA in 1991, one of my lumbar disks has pushed up over the one above it. Back doc strongly recommends surgery, but the consulting surgeon said my bones were too soft and I should wait for results from a two-year trial of Forteo for osteoporosis before I tried it. He further indicated that I would have to have someone with me for 3 weeks at least - 24 hours a day. So I will have to wait until I have Medicare for a short term nursing home stay. I am terrified of the surgery and subsequent Nursing home stay, as I know that NH's are too short staffed to take care of their patients, especially as much care as I will need. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? billie
Hi Billie:
I have congential spondelolesthesis. I was born with it and my L5 SI area was in a grade III slippage when I had my spinal fusion done in 1981. I had what is called a Gill Procedure (that's where they take a piece of bone from somehwere else and use it to fuse the verte brae to stabilize the spondelolesthesis). I had a very good orthopedic surgeon do my surgery and I have done very well post surgery for the last 28 years. And I was pretty much pain free for a good portion of that time. BUT, fusion is not a cure or a permanent fix. The spinal column is delicate once it has been compromised (like what you have gone through). Spondelolesthesis is a degenerative condition that spreads to the vertebrea above the fused area over time. And it is usually accomanpied by arthritis and nerve damage. Post surgery, you do need to have someone with you while you recover. I didn't need anyone with me 24 hours a day. And I didn't have to go to a NH. I went home in a back brace one week after surgery. I wa sin the brace for 2 years and physical therapy for 6 months. BOne surgery is very painful - but it helped me live pain free for 28 years. I recently had an accident which has has put me back at square one - and I am now facing more surgery. I interviewed LOTS of orthopedic surgeons before I picked the one who did my surgery then, and I am interviewing LOTS of doctors now. Don't take the word of one or two doctors. Make sure you have copies of all your medical records for yourself and start interviewing BEFORE you decide either way. And remember, the doctors work for you - you are in charge. Don't just get one or two opinions. Get several. And then you pick the one you trust the most.
KarenAnn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (09-14-2009)