View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

My hubby's in a similar position to the one you're in Billie. He doesn't have the same problems as you do, but he does have a spine that's totally worn out. He has many problems that can only be fixed with surgery but his spine is such a mess that although his orthopedic surgeon wants to have a go at operating, the neurosurgeon he consulted wasn't game to even attempt it.

If you are thinking of back surgery Billie (or anyone) please talk to your local doctor about getting a referral to a NeuroSurgeon.

The brain and the spinal canal are the two things they know best, and having been a nurse before illness forced me to retire, there's no way I'd let an orthopedic surgeon touch my back, or touch the back of anyone I loved.

I know that some orthopedic surgeons are better than others, but when it comes to my back..... I wouldn't want to take that chance. I saw too many mistakes in the hospitals I worked in. I had to care for too many patients who were sorry they allowed an orthopod to operate rather than a neuro-surgeon. Even a friend I once worked with was left wheelchair bound after failed spinal sugery.

There's no harm done looking into all the available options, getting all the available information, or getting a second opinion before you make your decision.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (09-14-2009)