View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm hoping to learn more about ALA. Please share specifics! I'm still combing through the forum but may have missed that discussion.

My youngest son was borderline autistic when younger and I did a fair amount of supplement research back then (he seemed to thrive with omegas and zinc and therapy -- no longer on the spectrum). There was quite a bit of talk about chelation and autism and I think ALA has chelating properties. Is chelation a concern with PN? I remember it being controversial for austistic kids, but that might be due to a potentially weaker blood brain barrier.

Also, ALA is a high dose antioxidant. I'm still trying to figure out the correct stance on antioxidants and cancer. We stayed away from antiox supplements during treatments and have tried to add antiox rich foods to his post-treatment diet as tolerated. He gets some extra antiox from vitamins but who knows how well that is absorbed. In my husband's case he has a rare genetic mutation that prevents his cells from making a protein needed for cell repair. I see how antiox can hopefully help prevent cell damage, but worry about possibly aiding the cancer at high doses.

He used to take C0Q10 (before the cancers) and it looks like that may be good to add back now.

I'm investigating carnitine. A friend has a family member with a mito disorder and they use huge amounts of carnitine (Carnitor RX) for that. She is not keen on the OTC supplements, but OTC might be fine for PN since it is not quite on the same scale of a disorder.

In reading about CIPN and it sounds like "magnesium and calcium solutions" have been tried as both a preventative and a treatment with some success in clinical trials. Is anyone familiar with these types of solutions? The ones reported are IV and not something one can pick up at the local pharmacy. Are there suitable home approaches? Do doctors ever RX these treatments for PN?

Sorry to have so many questions! I appreciate all the helpful information!!
Trish
javamom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote