Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Doody

yes, taking probiotics is really a good thing...not just for those with IBDs but for all of us

re the ulcerative colitis, I really would recommend that you consider taking DGL Liquorice supplement! Even the medical profession is finally taking a closer look at the amaxing healing properties of liquorice root to the digestive lining.........it is important tho that it be DGL Liquorice = deglycyrrhizinated liquorice as only this form has the specific healing function without blood pressure elevation that is characteristic of standard liquorice root

when my son had his first colonoscopy, his inflamed and ulcerated areas were pretty nasty
He cannot take the usual meds for Crohn's for 2 reasons...firstly because he has Tourette Syndrome and steroids are contraindicated in TS, plus he has a history of severe bad reaction to prescription meds.

So

We followed the exact plan for the Maker's Diet for the full 40 days, and now use it as a foundation for his diet (all of us have benefitted by the dietary changes!)
In addition, my research led me to add the DGL-liquorice to heal the ulceration, as well as Boswellin-Curcumin(turmeric) and Slippery Elm capsules (we use the NOW brand) to reduce inflammation and provide a protective coating for his digestive tract. When he was still having flare-ups, we would add white willow bark capsules for extra anti-inflammatory action(nature's aspirin without the side effects!) as well as cramp bark to reduce the spasms

I posted recently that his latest blood test results confirmed what he has been experiencing...........remission! and all this with just careful diet and those special supplements, along with other healthy supplements that aid in the anti-inflammatory/healing process (eg garlic, ginger, royal jelly, marshmallow root, the probiotics, plant enzymes, flaxseed oil, etc etc)

My son does not seem to have gluten or dairy intolerance, but I do know that for many people with IBDs, eliminating these from their diet, even if they are not allergic to them, has really helped so it is worth a try!

anyway...I have rambled on but once again, just want to say that the sound dietary info in the Maker's Diet is excellent not just for those with IBDs but for everyone! Even if you dont follow the exact diet to the letter, simply implementing the principles can make a huge difference to your overall health

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote