Thread: Fava Beans
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I take Neuroscience Balance D with Fava Bean Extract and have been for months. I just took a 2 week supplement holiday and clearly feel some unwanted change, though other variables are also in play.

I looked into eating the fresh beans daily in hopes of keeping my PD meds to a minimum, but found it neither practical (due to the impossibility of knowing how much levodopa a given crop contains) nor enjoyable enough to eat daily. Trader Joe's carried them frozen. Some supermarkets will order upon request.

Katrynne Holden, who has been writing about PD and nutrition for a really long time, has an article on the subject at: http://www.scienzavegetariana.it/nut...favabeans.html

Here's an outline:
Fava Beans, Levodopa, and Parkinson's Disease

by Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD

Ms. Holden is a registered dietitian specializing in Parkinson's disease. She has published research, books, articles, and manuals on nutrition and PD, including "Eat well, stay well with PD." For more information you may call (USA) 877-565-2665, or 970-224-5066; or visit her website: http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/
Beans and Parkinson's disease

How are fava beans related to PD?

What effect do fava beans have on PD?

Are there any problems associated with eating fava beans?

Yes, there a number of concerns to be aware of:
Variable levodopa amounts. ...Allergies....Monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) use.... Favism (G6PD deficiency)....

Should you eat fava beans if you have Parkinson's disease?

How often should I eat fava beans?

Where can I get fava beans?

Nutrient information for fava beans

How do I prepare fava beans?

RESOURCES
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote