View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Exclamation Batton down the hatches

Granddoody is just now getting over the 'norovirus', stomach flu. However, it remains in your system for up to 2 weeks for others to catch.

Daughter started with the diarrhea and vomiting at midnight. Son-in-law started at 9 am this morning.

Daughter also has some kind of influenza and her chest hurts really bad.

They both have bad headaches, which means poor grandoody probably did.

Daughter called me at 10 am and begged me to take grandoody and my brain wanted to collapse. She said she'd tried to get ahold of the other grandma, but she didn't answer her phone. Well, when I said yes, I'll be down to get him, the other grandma called on her cell and said she'd come pick him up.

Well, other grandma is extremely healthy active woman. Me...there are a few spots beneath my skull that don't hurt.

Now I feel guilty, very guilty, guilty guilty guilty - and my kids are sick as hell.

This stuff is TERRIBLE! And Iowa is hit with it bad, so I bet the Iowa borders aren't going to forgive a spread.

It's just the common 24 hour stomach flu, but if you are a baby, elderly, or have a health condition, it can be worse. Comes on like a firestorm.

This is what they've been talking about on the news with the cruise ships and at restaurants. Same stuff. Norovirus.

WASH YOUR HANDS! WASH YOUR FOOD!

WASH YOUR HANDS!

STAY AWAY FROM SICK PEOPLE FOR 2 WEEKS!

Okay, thanks.

Quote:
The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) continues to investigate this outbreak. At this time, the outbreak source has not been identified. It will be difficult to know how many people are sick as some did not likely seek medical care.

People with norovirus infection may feel very sick for several days and the illness is seldom serious. Symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and cramps may appear 12-48 hours after exposure. Individuals can pass the virus to others while sick and up to 48 hours after diarrhea has stopped.

“Norovirus can be spread from person to person, especially among family members, that’s why it’s important for those experiencing symptoms to contact their health care provider,” said IDPH Director. "The main risk is dehydration so it's important to drink plenty of fluids."

Health officials advise anyone with nausea or diarrhea to:
  • Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and especially after using the bathroom, after coughing and sneezing, and before preparing and eating food.
  • Use a bleach solution (1/4 cup bleach per gallon of water) to clean contaminated surfaces, such as doorknobs, shared tables or countertops.
  • Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze because the norovirus can also be transmitted in the air.
  • Cook foods well and wash fruits and vegetables before eating them since transmission can also occur through eating contaminated foods.
To help prevent the spread of these viruses anyone who is ill with diarrhea, vomiting or fever should not work with food, the elderly, in healthcare or child care. Food recently prepared by this person should be discarded.
Which reminds me. It is also now recommended that when you cough or sneeze to use your ARM to cover your face. When you use your hand, the next thing you touch has your germs.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill

Last edited by Doody; 01-06-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: To remind people to cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing!
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote