View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 12:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome Sugrkiss,

I'm so sorry about your ordeal...I had a thymoma too, and just had it removed on the 14th of July...The symptoms have stuck around, but my doc. says that's pretty common and can take 5-years to go away...It's harder when there's a thymoma for remission to occur...I'm not sure why, but the MG tends to stick around for longer...But even people with thymoma can get back on track health-wise, so keep the hope flame burning...

My symptoms are mainly in the tongue and palate...But I just recently finished plasmapheresis, and I haven't felt this great strength-wise in many, many months....I don't know what it was about this particular exchange, but I haven't had one incidence of slurred/nasal speech for a while now...My voice and eating are absolutely normal...My doc. is giving me IViG tomorrow to prolonge the positive effects of the plasma exchange...I'm feeling pretty hopeful that my symptoms will go away...I'm also taking 80 mgs of prednisone and a bunch of mestinon...So you'll prolly have to take meds. at least for a while to get things back on track...

You mentioned that your mom has Myotonic Muscular dystrophy (I'm guessing that's the type)...I've read some things about that problem in relation to thymoma...People with this problem have been found to have thymoma more often than the rest of the population...Did they really rule out the fact that you may have it? There's something about the deletion that causes people to get tumours more easilly...

You also mentioned that you were pregnant while you had the thymoma...I don't want to scare you, but are you able to ask your doc. about this particular combination? For some reason, pregnancy can exascerbate a thymoma, i.e. make it grow much more rapidly and *possibly* spread...Please ask your doc. about this, but don't panic...Thymoma is so rare, and maybe he doesn't know about that one...There have only been something like 8 cases of thymoma and pregnancy that they know about...

I hope that you get to feeling better soon, and congratulations on your baby!

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote