View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post Concussion Syndrome with Headaches

Hi Kate,
Go Sabres! We're from Orchard Park.
My 16 year old daughter is suffering many of the same symptoms as you. She got hit in the back of the head with a football in P.E. Class in October, then got hit with a volleyball in Nov. when she went back to P.E. She then hit her head in March on her bunk bed.
She could not tolerate the Topamax either. They call it "DopaMax" for a good reason! Daily Elavil had same reaction.
We tried the Clinic at UB this summer, and did not have any results from it. The docs there are used to treating athletes with concussions, the point being they are already in good physical shape, and they respond to the exercise therapy positively. It cost me $250 to have her evaluated, and it was not covered by insurance, though the therapy sessions were.
She is doing pt/ot at Children's Hospital. She has quite a lot of double vision, especially when reading. They have her using a eye patch and reading out of one eye at a time. She can get through some of her homework that way, but I still have to read aloud to her.
I am going to the DENT neuro. headache center this week for a second opinion, because I cannot stand seeing her in pain every day. They don't want to give her anything for the pain because of her age, but her quality of life has crumbled and she is getting depressed.
Hang in there !
mitchgib is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (10-07-2009), Hockey (09-14-2009)