Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Thank heaven you’re okay.

They say the bathroom is the most dangerous place in the house. With all the water about and having to climb in and out of the tub, I can see why.

My balance isn't very good and I've had a few near misses. My husband installed a bunch of wall bars (he calls them my "not flying trapeze” handles) and that has helped. I’ve also found it useful to towel off before I step out of the tub. Still, I wonder if that’s enough. Has anybody here got one of those walk in sit baths they advertise on TV?
We do!

It's ok, it has hand rails on the wall in the back of the tub and on front. It's really comfy to sit in, but we got one of the smallest walk in tubs that they have. It cost a LOT. I dont remember specifically what it was, but it was really expensive.

It is a LOT better than the people trap of a bathtub that we had when we first moved to this house. That tub was one of those jacuzzi tubs that was super huge. None of us could get in and out of that without help. The one time I used it, I had to grab a hold of my dog and tell him to stand still while I used him for leverage to get out of the tub. (he was a big dog, and I think he would have made a great assistance dog.)

The problem with the walk-in-sit-down tub is that it's a narrow space. You still need to be careful when getting in and out. I love the fact that the tub company sent handrails to attach to the wall once the tiling was finished. They matched our new tile perfect.

I do like our tub, but dont use it much because it's upstairs in the guest bathroom, and it's just not all that convenient for me to use. But it's great to get in there and play with the rubber ducks and turn on the jets.

I have one picture of it right now, right after it was installed, and before the tile was finished.

The only problem with the tub is that the toilet is too close to it by four inches. Doesnt keep you from using the toilet or the tub, just means that it's technically not up to code. If we ever sell the house, that could be a problem, but for us right now, it's fine.

I'll have to take a picture of it later, so you can all see it in it's finished glory.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (09-14-2009), SallyC (09-13-2009), Twinkletoes (09-13-2009)