View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I cannot help you there, hopeful in the way I could if I had RSD.

RSD seems to have a mixed presentation of vascular and nerve problems. Some patients may have more of one type than the other.

PNers typically only have nerve damage. Either the sensory endings or the axons may show damage or death.

Both RSD and PN develop a central pain issue, where areas of the brain get hardwired into pain perception. Sort of like phantom limb phenomenon in amputees.

With PN...there are hot and cold sensory fibers in the feet and hands, which then start to fire too much or too little.
For some reason burning sensations are more common with PN. That is why menthol works well for us.

With RSD, you may have circulatory changes, hence the color changes that accompany pain. With decreased blood flow, you can then damage the sensory nerve endings.

And I think that some patients may have BOTH conditions.

The people here who report COLD intolerance, lower limb temperature may find the Healthifeet product helpful. There are thermo photos on that website to show improved circulation.
But for people who have burning pain... the pepper extract in this product may increase burning sensations.

I think RSD is a combination disorder. There might be an inflammatory cascade from the original injury that travels around and affects the blood vessels, and the resulting lack of oxygen and build up of toxins, then damage sensory nerve endings.

This is why some studies show calcium channel blockers and adrenergic blockers helpful early in the disorder. It appears to me that RSD is very complex, and this is why it is hard to understand and why doctors seem so clueless about it.
There is an analogy coming forward now about multiple sclerosis. The new thinking is that it is a two fold disorder, with inflammation at the beginning, followed by damage from another mechanism as time passes. So as the understanding of the disease progression increases, then perhaps treatments can be better applied as well.

And I think this is why some people who start with PN, may eventually end up with RSD as well.
And the reverse. RSD patients can develop diabetes, and have diabetic PN, or can be poisoned and have nerve damage that way. One needs to keep an open mind about this disorder, since other things can happen to you that are independent of the RSD itself. There is also new evidence coming out about Fibromyagia and peripheral trauma. So it is likely some RSD patients may have Fibro as well. Fibro overlaps with PN too.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote