View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan&GilliansMommy View Post
My son Nathan had a G-J tube placed last December because he could not tolerate his feeds (would throw up everything I would have just fed him-even overnight slow feeds). He had the G-J tube for about a month so I have a little experience with meds. Nathan gets Chloral Hydrate at bedtime for sleep. I noticed that it worked a lot quicker when it went into the Jejunum as opposed to the stomach. He would fall asleep with 5 to 10 minutes when it normally takes 30 to 45 minutes.
He also has myoclonic seizures which have been greatly controlled with just Depakote and Klonopin twice a day. The doses for those meds were not changed-but again I think the onset of action was faster with the Klonopin (he'd calm down quicker).
He had a fundoplication in January which was the absolute BEST thing we could have done for him. My son had to be held constantly for his first year and a half or he'd hold his breath and turn blue (due to undiagnosed reflux). He'd do this 10 to 15 times a day. After the fundo, I had a new child. He wouldn't ride in the car without ear-piercing blood curdling screams. Now he is so content in the car-he LOVES it. It is so sad to think he was in so much pain for so long.
After the surgery, we switched back to just a Mic-Key Button G-Tube and he has been doing pretty well. He now gets lots of real food through his tube that I throw into the blender and Pediasure overnight.
A really good site for tube feeding parents is Parent 2 Parent
http://www.parent-2-parent.com/forum...isplay.php?f=8
There are tons of really experienced tube-feeding moms (and a few dads) and lots of the kids have G-J tubes. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for all your experiences....as far as P-2-P I am all over that site (check out the motility forum )...they are very good for info...thank you so much. From the places I have asked this question it seems that the greatest effect is in the absorption and the "quicker" nature of the effects....so i guess my worries are "better" nowhearing that. The neuro did call me back late last night and while she doesn't get much of Ethan's GI stuff was pretty much of the same opinion....she said to just watch carefully as we get started with the new tube. I still wait for our appointment .

Thank you all for the welcome and helpful information.
proud momma to Kiana 12, Nicholas & Alexander 10 and to Ethan (my ex-27wker now 6 yr old, dx of neuropathic chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction of small intestine, large colon obstruction at the **** sphincter and visceral hyperalgesia.....loop colostomy,100% G tube fed, continuous feeds...generalized TC seizures....my hero, my boy)
kaaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote