View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess18 View Post
Hello all
I hope you are doing well today. I am a member of the forum and had discovered it as I have pudendal neuralgia, a nerve condition affecting the pelvis. Well, since last year, I have been able to "control" or manage it by self exercise, physical therapy, gabapentin, elavil and valium. Now, I thought that was the end of it, until we were hit by a car in november of last year.. and I have been going downhill ever since. I have seen a phsyical therapist for awhile and now, the drs dont know what is wrong with me.
My most severe symptom is constant 24/7 back of the leg pain ( mostly thigh) which feels like a deep ache to the bone all day every day. It almost feels like someone is taking a knife and strippig the flesh fromthe back of my leg. Visual not pretty huh. My quality of life sucks, and I am finding more and more of me laying on the couch as walking, standing and such causes pain. There is weakness also.
I am seeing a rheumatologist next week as I also have arthritc symptoms such as morning stiffness and other things. The leg pain has become unbearable. I am on oxy 20-30 mg and it doesnt releive the pain enough.
I am wondering if this is peripheral neuropathy in my legs or CIDP?
I am going to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville in 2.5 weeks, and will be seeing a rheumy first, as I have tested positive for ANA, and I know CIDP is autoimmune, so I will ask. I also want to have the EMG/NCS done, and get a diagnosis.
So question is, with leg weakness and severe leg pain could this be either PN or CIDP? I am hoping and pretty sure I will be seeing a neuro there too and tests will be done. I just cant live like this.
Another question, I take 3,000 mg of Gabapentin and 37.5mg of Elavil. If it is PN, why wouldnt these drugs work or help... would it be time to switch to Lyrica? I am seeing my GP in a week and will need to increase my pain meds as I think after a year there has been a tolerance build up.
Believe me, I have tried the natural approach with omega 3, b12, b6, ginger.. etc. . for inflammation.. but nothing working on that front.
So thoughts on the PN or CIDP? thank you very much.
jess
Jess,

I have that same type of horrific aches in my thigh. I switched to Lyrica from Neurontin and it helped greatly. I felt I finally got my life back. I am a big excerciser and was a runner. My legs were very weak and I always felt like my right leg had a stone in it or something because if felt so heavy. The lyrica really helped with all of it. I can't run, but I can take aerobic classes and work on an eliptical.
Hope this is helpful, Laurie
Laurie43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote