Thread: Working with TN
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Working with TN

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I do not have TN, but work with someone who does. After reading the Stickies I have gained somewhat of an understanding of this terrible disease. My co-worker is a 41 yo female who was diagnosed with TN approximately 6 years ago. She had the Teflon disk surgery about 5 years ago. She says “It did not work”. I have worked with “Clair” daily for the past 2 ˝ years. Before that I worked for the same company, but not with her. Before her diagnosis she was an exemplary employee. I would like to get some help and advice.
When I started working daily with Clair she continually complained about the pain in her face. Her complaints were the same as I read on here. She was going to the doctor a few times a year and getting her meds adjusted. She would say she had “pain pills” that she would take when the pain got really bad. I don’t know what they were, but when she took them she would eventually fall asleep at her desk. This probably happened 1 or 2 times a week. Some days she was fine and the next she was “out of it”. This continued for about a year and a half. Her work was very poor; fortunately she works for a company that is very understanding.
About a year ago she started to complain about her back. She was diagnosed with Scoliosis. She then took “pain pills” for her back along with her TN meds and fell asleep at her desk. Again, a few times a week. She would still complain about her facial pain, but not nearly as much as before, her back was now her chief complaint. She had back surgery and was scheduled to be out for 8 weeks. She ended up being out 8 months.
When she retuned she was the same as when she left. Her back still sore, the doctors told her “it would take up to a year to completely heal”. She rarely complains about her face pain, unless she comes in a few hours late, or wants to take a pain pill.
I feel sorry for Clair most of the time, but there are times when I question her complaints. How do we know if she is truly in pain or just addicted to drugs? How do people with this disease hold a job? She would be devastated if she lost her job, but how do you justify having an employee who is “wasted” on the job. I also worry about her driving. She totaled her car while she was out with her back. She rear-ended another vehicle. Can someone please give me some advice? Clair is a great person and I would hate to see her lose her job.
helper326 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote