View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshue View Post
I just have to vent a bit, having returned from a visit to a neurologist at UCLA (I won't comment on specific names, but I simply must condemn the institution as ridiculously unsatisfying).

Being based in LA, I've had consultations at both Hopkins and UCSF (the better place in my experience), returning home to UCLA to continue any treatments.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any doctor, not one, based at UCLA in either their neurolgy department or their pain clinic (and I'm not including doctors in private practice, like Dr. Prager, who simply have office space at UCLA) who are remotely competent.

After a year and a half of brutal pain, an at times basic state of near debilitation, and a sheaf of suggestions from UCSF, the massively insecure, most egregious UCLA neurologist, today, as I was approaching being curled in a ball of pain, only methadone getting me to the office, stated that he disgrees with the reports of his esteemed colleagues, and started to intimate perhaps there's a psychological component to my dilemma, that maybe, say, meditation would be helpful in alleviating that which may be, you know, simply residing in my head. Unbelievable.

Forget that my medical records were lost by this office, twice, with me then having to hand deliver a set of copies in the middle of the day; that it took weeks to simply set an appointment after an insurance 'approval' (and this being my home base as it were). All to find, what was I thinking? The clarity, it was overwhelming - all this pain is simply in my head. Thank you so much doctor.

All I can say is that with a $10 co-pay, I certainly got what I paid for at UCLA.

-- Dennis
Dear Dennis,

I can SO relate to your frustration and anger.

Perhaps he trained with the neurologist I saw a few months ago in RI at my GP's insistance because I was suffering with such severe head pain he wasn't quite sure what to do with me? That neurologist charged me a $25 co-pay to hear basically the same thing - in his report he stated "I do not have an organic alternative diagnosis to explain her pain, and wonder how much of this is caused by depression." This is because at the time I saw him he didn't observe any autonomic changes that he expected to see with, as he puts it, "chronic RSD, such as sweating, hair loss, changes in skin turgor, temperature and color, osteopenia or edema."

BTW - what does "organic" mean?

I recall him being upset with me because I did not want to add Tegretol to my list of meds. I had tried Lyrica and Neurontin and hated them both. I already take Topamax for head pain. And furthermore, one of my brothers suffered from a seizure disorder when he was younger and was on Tegretol for a while - it made him lethargic and caused him to gain weight. No thank you.

I only saw this dr. because my GP wanted me to - he prescibes my opiods and I've needed them increased over the summer because my pain has been severe on a number of occasions. Before I agreed to the appt with the neurologist, I think I SHOULD have asked whether the doc had any experience with RSD, how many RSD patients he sees a year, etc. There are several other neurologists in his office -perhaps one of them would have been better qualified to treat me. Live and learn.

My GP has asked me AGAIN to try to find a neurologist because he needed to increase my meds 2 weeks ago. A RI FB page had a suggestion for a RI neurologist, so I called his office. I asked the receptionist if the doc had experience with RSD and how many patients he took care of, etc. I also asked my GP if he had heard anything negative, and he hadn't. That's a lot more due diligence than I perfomed the first time around.

Not all doctors are alike. My GP wants me to see neurologists, that's the only reason I'm persisting. But the bulk of my care has been provided by a PM doc in Boston at ST. Eliz that I really like a lot (7 SGB, 1 LB, 2 lidocain infusions). He's board certified in both pain management and anesthiology, and is a Doctor of Osteopathy.

I think you may find that many people on this board use PM docs for their care.

Good luck, and never, never give up. Sorry you had such a *edit* day.

Sandy

Last edited by Koala77; 09-16-2009 at 04:37 AM. Reason: NT guidelines
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (09-17-2009), Hockey (09-16-2009), hope4thebest (09-17-2009)