View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraGTimes View Post
Hi,
I'm new to all this stuff, bear with me :-).
I am 25 years old and just over the past few months have noticed some numbness and tingling that's gotten progressively worse. I saw a neurologist after my MD suggested the symptoms warrented a workup. The neurologist saw some clinical mostly sensory problems, and ordered a brain MRI which was wnl, bloodwork where all was normal except my anti MAG was elevated to 3386 (999 was cutoff for abnormal). I had my EMG/NCV which this week which showed motor nerves ok but my feet and hands all had sensory symmetric "low and slow" velocities. I am still waiting for an official "diagnosis", and next week am having a lumbar punture and MRI of spine/thorax. The neurologist seems surpised that the bloodwork was positive for anti-MAG, said he ordered it without expecting anything in that direction, the GM1 was negative. Since my initial "occasional numbness and tingling" I am now experiencing (For the past few days) Burning sensation that stays (as opposed to coming and going) and is from my kneecaps down on both legs. My palms also burn almost constantly. In the past few weeks I've gone downhill fast. I didn't realize there was a difference with CIDP and anti-MAG polyneuropathy. Are they closely related? How were others diagnosed?
Hi Laura,
I was diagnosed with anti-MAG neuropathy 7 years ago. My symptoms started with numbness in my finger tips and toes and weakness in my legs (falls). I went to a neurologist who ran a lot of blood tests and EMG/NCS. It turned out that I had elevated IgM and anti-MAG auto-antibodies. The NCS showed slow nerve conduction. I wasn't diagnosed with anti-MAG peripheral neuropathy until I saw a neurologist at a large research facility who had taken care of other people with this condition. I was started on IVIg which helped for a number of years. The symptoms have progressed slowly over the years to burning in my feet and hands when they get warm, balance problems and coordination problems. I haven't had any treatments after the IVIg became ineffective (about 2 years ago). I was 46 when diagnosed. You are very young to have anti-MAG peripheral neuropathy. I hope you get a diagnosis soon and good treatments. In comparison to other autoimmune conditions - this one isn't so bad. Let me know what you find out and what treatment you get.
Blessings to you! NancyKay
NancyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote