View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 07:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default GF Bread

Moved this from the Everything Free thread - this thread seemed more appropriate.

I've modified Cara's recipe to a dough that can be molded. It might be easier yet if you do a double rising? I haven't tried that yet. These buns turn out really good, soft and moist, but the bread loaf almost always falls and there seems to be a really moist spot towards the bottom, like it hasn't baked completely. I'm thinking it might be a bit too wet. Next time I make a loaf I want to cut back on the liquid by 2-3 Tablespoons, but I haven't changed that part of the recipe yet. And the last time I made it, I didn't have any dry milk powder and the buns turned out just as good, so I'm skipping that from now on. Anyway, here are my modifications.

GF Bread

Mix 1 pkg dry yeast and 1 tsp sugar into 1/2 cup luke-warm water – set aside and let foam.

Melt 5 Tablespoons butter or margarine.

When melted, add 1 cup milk of choice or water and 1 tsp rice or apple cider vinegar to butter-milk mixture.

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl:
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/8 cup white rice flour
3/8 cup sweet/glutinous rice flour
3/4 cup potato starch flour
1/4 cup potato flour
1 cup tapioca flour
3 Tbls. sugar
1 Tbls. xanthan gum
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1+1/2 tsp salt
1 or 2 tsp ground flax seed, optional

Mix with a wire whisk and/or sift.

Using electric mixer with dough hook add butter/milk mixture to dry ingredients and mix until crumbly. Add yeast and mix well. Make sure the butter mixture is not too warm – too warm will kill all the little yeasties.

Add 4 eggs, one at a time, and beat between each.

Beat 4 minutes. This dough is more like gluten dough – very stiff.

Put into two regular loaf pans (5 x 9) (greased), one extra long pan (greased), or it makes 12 hamburger buns, or 18 to 24 smaller buns, or one regular loaf and 12-18 buns.

If making buns, line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper (or grease pans if they're not non-stick, but parchment paper works great!). Spoon onto cookie sheets. Lightly grease hands and roll into balls, then flatten as desired. Flatten into a fat disk for sandwich buns, less so for dinner rolls.

For bread, lightly grease hands and pat dough into loaf shape, place in greased pan.

Raise in warmed oven (place a bowl of hot water on bottom of oven) for 30-40 minutes. Remove bowl of water and bread. Preheat oven to 375, then turn down to 350 when putting bread in, and bake:
20-25 minutes for buns
40-45 minutes for bread

You can rest foil over the top for the last 10-15 minutes if getting too browned.
myst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote