Thread: Prednisone
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jessica,
I too started Pred at 5mg/day, as an in-patient and I stayed at that level for a week due to the worsening of all symptoms. After that, increase by 10 mg/d every week, and I was released from the hospital at 45. The dose was later increased to 75 mg/d (1 mg/kg of weight, which is the usual max dosage) due to the lack of results.
I noticed a sharp increase in my physical abilities (I had generalized MG) after about 5 months (I also take Cellcept...),bulbar symptoms disappeard after about 3 months from the beginning.
Pred dose was then continuously tapered and I'm now closed to my stable level as the change from 5 mg to 4mg/d caused some problems and I now try 4.5 mg...with my 4 daily 60 mg Mestinon.
Pred may cause osteoporosis (increase calcium content in your food intake), potassium depletion in blood (eat food with high potassium content), glaucoma (have your eyes regularly checked for that), diabetis (decrease sugar intake) and weight gain (significantly reduce salt in your food!)>
All this should also be regularly followed by blood analyses which your neuro should prescribe.
I hope everything will go well for you,
Maurice>
neutro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote