View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default comments from my experience.

I believe Dyskinesia is an oversensitvity to something (not sure what) that causes a sudden imbalance in our brain chemistry and I don't think anyone has a real handle on it. From my experience, when I stay away from the sugars and other hi GI foods, I can almost eliminate it completely from my symptoms. Invariably I get cocky about the whole thing and begin to wonder how far I can push the envelope and still get away with it. Having just come through the treacherous Straits of Christmas, I am up to my eyeballs in dyskinesia. Time to get seriously back to some self dicipline which is another way of saying I have to go get myself/meds/eating habits yada yada yada back on track.

Ron: i had your problem for awhile, but found I could off set it by munching on a few carrots or some other benign filler for my stomach before I sat down to eat with the family. (sort of like distracting a child) I think its tied to blood sugar levels and insulin levels when it comes to pre eating bouts of dysk. Try having a small snack 15-20 minutes before you sit down to dine.
If I want to stay in balance I have to do alot of ahead planning, keep track of my med times and eat small amounts. It's all a big pain in the butt and then I get rebellious, frustrated, impatient and the list of negatives goes on and on. Before I know i'm at the bottom of the cycle and guess what? I have to go through the same thing again. I must be an old dog because I am definitly learning new tricks at a tediously slow rate. I know intellectually what I need to do but my heart is not yet committed. A few years ago I drafted a set of rules which I keep posted on my fridge
1. There is a set of rules in the universe by which we must all live.
2. These rules are absolute and irrevocable.
3. You must figure out what these rules are for yourself.
4. Sometimes these rules don't apply.

good luck!
rosebud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote