View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Brittany,

It is nice to meet you. I am glad you found this forum. I get a lot of support, even if I am not being active. Simply reading other people's posts often will help.

You mentioned that you refused narcotics for a while, for concern about addiction. I did as well, and am always conservative when it comes to ANY new medications. But I was reassured by several doctors, including one who specializes in addictions, and they all convinced me that addiction happens when you take the drugs for recreation. When there is a legitimate need, like severe pain, your body reacts differently than when you are only “getting the high.”

I have been on some pretty large doses of very strong stuff – most regular folks would be flying high – and have never felt even the least giddy. That shows me that the drug action is going directly to the pain. The first time I take a Percocet or something and think: “Wow! That feels wonderful!!!”, I will back off.

One other idea. Mrs. D made a comment on long posts. I like to compose off-line using Microsoft Word. I then have tools like spelling and grammar check, Thesaurus, and so on. I will then copy-and-past into the board.

Wishing you well,

Mike

Last edited by bassman; 09-18-2009 at 07:00 AM.
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta (09-17-2009), mrsD (09-17-2009), SandyRI (09-20-2009)