Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Yes, aging can cause lesions and attached is some info on types of lesions:
http://spinwarp.ucsd.edu/NeuroWeb/Text/br-840.htm
From the above site:
"As a result of the high sensitivity of T2-weighted spin-echo pulse sequences, MR images frequently reveal high-signal foci within the subcortical white matter. Estimates of the incidence of these hyperintensities in the brains of healthy, elderly persons have ranged from 30 to 90 per cent. , , Gerard and Weisberg3 found subcortical lesions in only 10 per cent of patients older than 60 years unless cerebrovascular symptoms or risk factors were present; if both were present, the incidence increased to 84 per cent. To a certain extent, the presence of these hyperintensities limits the sensitivity of MR for white matter disease. They are often normal variants or related to deep white matter ischemia, but they can be mistaken for, or can obscure more serious pathology."

I'm the one who suggested Garney check you all out Since Garney had evidence of lesions, I would hate for MS to not even be considered, since MS can destabilize the brain and result in seizures (I've straddled both MS and epilepsy for four years now, so have learned a lot from both groups here). I was also interested in the subject of lesions and age because of my sister's recent discovery that she has 6 lesions (in her late 30s). I don't think that the above article would support that my sister's lesions could be due to age: she aint "elderly" (although some youngsters may argue the opposite ).
Footprints is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote