Thread: Prednisone
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Hi Shari!

Hi Shari! Prednisone is really hard on the body, but for ME it was well worth it! Being able to make dinner or clean my home makes it worthwhile!

I won't lie. I no longer look like myself. I have had many side effects from the prednisone. I am up to 170 lbs. I have acne and shake like a leaf, but I can get off the sofa again! I MISS the "old" me, but I am HERE and know that the side effects will go away pretty soon!

My Gram had a heart transplant back in 87 and was on MASSIVE amounts of steroids, but she DID look like her "old" self after a few years.......

You really need to weigh the pros and cons. I know that most of us feel VERY strongly about steroids.

Believe me when I say that if there was any other way for me to feel better minus the roids I'd do it, but I am pretty steroid dependant......*sigh*

Hang in there!
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari_W View Post
Thanks Lizzie,
Everything you mentioned is the reason why I am trying to do everything in my power not to begin prednisone therapy. I tend to have a bad MG flare up every four years or so but am really baffled as to why I had this one considering that my treatment plan for MG for the past 4 years has been pretty aggressive. We have increased my cellcept dosage from 2000 mg to 2500 mg daily and now have bumped my IVIG back to once a month instead of every 6 weeks. I also have increased my mestinon dosage a little as well.
It's been a couple of months now since my MG symptoms have come back and they are still hanging around so I guess I am just a little impatient about getting them under control again I tried a different IVIG brand the last couple of times and I am going back to the one I had before. The new brand left me feeling worse with side effects than my old one and it doesn't apppear to be giving me the benefits that I used to get. But prednisone really scares me because of everything you said.

I can say this, the intensity of my weakness is not nearly as bad as it was a couple of months ago so maybe I just need to relax and not worry about it so much. My husband keeps telling me to take it one day at a time as I have done in the past. I guess I just got spoiled to feeling "normal" for so long that it is hard for me to adjust to feeling like this again. I am still not as bad as many others who post on here so I am really thinking long and hard about the prednisone therapy.

I just want to get back to being able to do things with my husband and kids instead of being afraid to do anything because it might make my MG worse. I am not living right now, just merely existing.