View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hey ... Mark in Idaho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
You have to be very disciplined with the Oxy. If you do not follow the exact prescribing time line, it can be VERY addicting. Taking Oxy sooner than scheduled or taking a larger dose than prescribed can set you up for miserable withdrawal when you try to go back to the prescribed dose. You can end up with horrible nausea and stomach/other pain. The Oxy withdrawal will make the pain seem like a day at the beach. It is not uncommon for those who get addicted to need serious anesthesia to deal with the withdrawal symptoms. My BIL wrecked the lives of all around him trying to kick Oxy. He substituted booze and ended up losing his drivers license for quite some time.

I have read studies that say that morphine pumps can be very effective. They limit how often you get your doses. The studies show that most pump users use far less that the allowed amount.
Mark,

I know you are correct about the Oxycontin withdrawal. Frankly, my life is spent in so much pain I just don't give a damn. I will cross that bridge when and if I ever come to it. My doctor, who is also a surgeon, tends to think that I will never be off his medication. When he described what has to happen, here I am a 37-year-old man who spent 15 years bodybuilding ... I thought I was tough? What a joke! Here I was, as he describes it, I am buckeled over in tears. The real reason being that they can't fix nerve cords or bundles that had severed. Yes, my broken neck is healed and is as good as it's going to be. Believe me dude, the man upstairs really was looking out for me because I was 2 mm away from being a paraplegic. But, the pain is an issue I'll deal with for life. It is not something I have to worry about withdrawing from. It's coming up on three years and not much has changed.

How about you? Can you tell me a little bit about your TBI? I'd love to hear how you're coping with life, and learning from folks like yourself who are basically in my exact same situation has taught me a lifetime's worth of learning. I hope this site is the same for you.

Take care and be well my friend.

Joey
Joe M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote