View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
mhr4

mhr4

Mark,

There have been no published reports of 5 HTP ever causing serotonin syndrome when taken alone. If you have one, please post on here to substantiate your statement. Yes, if you were to take mass quantities of it over a prolonged period of time, it probably would cause this to happen; however, taking mass quantities of anything for a prolonged period of time can cause adverse side effects. You really only run the risk of developing seretonin syndrome if you mix MAO inhibitors, SSRIs, or tricyclic antidepressants with themselves or with 5-HTP or Tryptophan. You can also develop serotonin syndrome by taking mass quantities of tryptophan. *edit*

SAMe, at recommended doses, is very safe to take. It also has been shown to affect serotonin. Therefore, it can be considered a safe alternative to taking tryptophan.

And, of course, everyone should seek medical advice before taking any drug/supplement that is posted on here. I guess that was always assumed when I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
5-HTP is NOT a safe alternative to L-Tryptophan. L-Tryptophan metabolizes into 5-HTP but not without the brain's regulatory system controlling it.

5-HTP bypasses this regulatory system. 5-HTP can easily be overdosed and result in serotonin syndrome.

SAMe may be used by some for depression but it does not effect neurotransmitters like L-Tryptophan.

SAMe also needs to be only be taken with the appropriate Vit B and other supplements. Otherwise, it can cause a dangerous increase in homo-cysteine levels.

The L-Tryptophan controversy has long ago been resolved. It was an isolated incident due to manufacturing contamination.

As you can see, I am choosing to use a physician's assistance before attempting to fiddle with my brain's neurotransmitters.

I suggest others do the same.

Last edited by Koala77; 09-19-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: NT Guidelines
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote